The predominant climate is warm and humid, with a rainless season which corresponds to the Austral winter. However, the nights are relatively fresh. In areas bordering with the Regions of Amazonas, La Libertad and Huánuco, the climate changes with the altitude which modifies the tropical climate, converting it in mild to warm, in the yungas, and mild to cold, in the areas bordering with the high mountain area and the edge of the Andean plateau.
- Tarapoto: 250 m.a.s.l.
- Moyabamba: 860 m.a.s.l.
- Minimum: 190 m.a.s.l. (Pelejo)
- Maximum: 3,080 m.a.s.l. (Agua Blanca).
- To the North, with the Region of Loreto
- To the East, with the Region of Loreto
- To the South, with the Region of Huánuco
- To the West, with the Regions of Amazonas, La Libertad and Ancash.
Tarapoto is the capital city of the Region of San Martín, and is situated at an altitude of 250 m.a.s.l., and on the banks of the Shilcayo River which is tributary of the Mayo River. It is one of the Peruvian Amazon’s main tourist and commercial urban centers, which has a population superior to 118,000 inhabitants, according to the 2007 census, as it is the most populated city in the Region of San Martín, also known as the City of the Palm Trees.
- Lima – Chiclayo – Olmos – Bagua – Rioja – Moyabamba – Tarapoto: 1,445 km., on the North Panamerican Road and Fernando Belaúnde Terry Road or the Jungle’s Marginal Road (22 hours by bus).
- Lima – Pacasmayo – Cajamarca – Balsas – Leymebamba – deviation to Chachapoyas – Pedro Ruiz: 1,547 km. on the North Panamerican Road and Fernando Belaúnde Terry Road (28 hours by car).
- Lima – Huánuco – Tingo María – Tocache – Juanjuí – Tarapoto: 1,020 km. on the Central Road and Fernando Belaúnde Terry Road or the Jungle’s Marginal Road (20 hours by car).
Regular flights from Lima (1 hour) and from Iquitos (45 minutes). There are regular air-taxi services, from Tarapoto to other bordering destinations of the Region.
Iquitos / Yurimaguas, on the Amazon, Marañón and Huallaga rivers, to go on to Tarapoto, on the road that connects Yurimaguas with Tarapoto (136 km.).