It is tropical, warm, humid and rainy. Temperatures are constantly high and annual averages are superior to 25? C, as the maximum annual temperature is of 31? C (88? C) and the minimum annual average, of 21? C (70? C). The draught season, from July to November, and flood season, from December to July, present particular differences in the flora, fauna and climate. Annual rainfalls are superior to 1,000 milimeters, but without going over 5,000 milimeters.
- 104 m.a.s.l. (City of Iquitos)
- Minimum: 70 m.a.s.l. (Amelia)
- Maximum: 220 m.a.s.l. (Balsa Puerto).
It is the region or department which possesses most international borders.
- To the North-east, with the Republic of Ecuador
- To the North and North-east, with the Republic of Colombia
- To the East, with the Republic of Brazil
- To the South, with the Region of Ucayali
- To the West with the regions of Ucayali, Huánuco, San Martín and Amazonas.
Distances and Access Ways
Regular flights to Iquitos, from:
- Lima (1 hour and a half)
- Tarapoto (50 minutes)
- Pucallpa (1 hour).
Non-regular Flights from
- Yurimaguas (40 minutes)
- City of Leticia, in Colombia (1 hour).
From the city of Iquitos to the cities of:
- Yurimaguas (Province of Alto Amazonas): 388 km. (4 days on a motorized river boat)
- Nauta (Province of Loreto): 115 km. (2 hours by bus or 14 hours on a motorized river boat)
- Caballococha (Province of Mariscal Ramón Castilla): 311 km. (2 days on a motorized river boat)
- Requena (Province of Requena): 157 km. (19 hours on a motorized river boat)
- Contamana (Province of Ucayali): 431 km. (3 days on a motorized river boat).
From Pucallpa to the City of Iquitos
From Puerto La Hoyada, 2.5 km. from the city, via the Ucayali River, with stopovers in the ports of Requena and Contamana, on a river glider craft (Small, but fast craft, with a 10 to 15 passenger capacity), which can be hired as a private service. It takes between 1 and 2 days, depending on the river’s water level.
On a motorized river boat (Large but slow craft, with a capacity for 250 people), it takes from 4 to 5 days, depending on the river’s current.
From Yurimaguas to the City of Iquitos
Via the Huallaga and Marañon rivers, with a stopover in the Port of Nauta. It can be on a river glider craft (12 to 15 hours, depending on the motor’s power) or on a motorized river boat (From 3 to 4 days, depending on the rivers´ water level).