Main Tourist Attractions of Tumbes
Tumbes´ Main Square (Plaza de Armas)
The Main Square is one of the citys interesting attractions. After having been reformed, it presents a scene in which stands out an acoustic shell covered with mosaic, called The Encounter of Two Worlds, as the image makes allusion to the arrival of the Spanish and all the regions natural richness. In the center, one can observe the representation of the Cacique Chilimasa, Curaca (Chief) of the area, who resisted against the Spanish troops. There, the locals stroll around and rest, in the shade of the trees.
The San Nicolás de Tolentino Main Church
It is located on the Main Square and was built in the 17th century, by Augustinian priests. In that baroque style church, two semicircular arches stand out, along with the ceiling composed of gables, on two levels, and pointed arched domes, covered with mosaics. Inside it, one can appreciate the Main Altar, in carved wood, with applied mosaics, and stained-glass windows, with scenes of the life of Jesus, as well as images of Saints and the Virgin, complemented by an excellent wood carving of Christ.
There are several walks that invite you to get to know the city. Among them, La Concordia, Los Libertadores, Jerusalén and Triunfino stand out. Other places well frequented by Tumbes´ inhabitants, are: The Boulevard de la Madre (The Mothers Boulevard), the Plazoleta El Beso (The Kiss´ Square), the Bolognesi Square and the Airplanes Park.
The Tourist Vantage Point and Palo Santo Private Natural Area
It is a vantage point built on the citys highest hill, only five minutes by car, from which it is possible to observe good part of the areas geography. The vantage point is located in a Private Natural Area called Palo Santo, with forests composed of typical species of the region, such as carob trees, palo santo, hualtacos and charanes.
The place is the habitat of over 30 bird species, many of which are endemic of the region of Tumbes, reason for which paths were traced, so that visitors might be able to better observe the regions flora and fauna. It can be visited throughout the year.
It is located just 13 km. from the city of Tumbes (15 minutes by car). The fishermens cove of Puerto Pizarro is the departure point, to visit, on a boat, the mangroves that form an ecosystem composed of navigable canals which are part of the Tumbes Rivers delta. These mangroves can reach a height of up to six meters, forming islands, due to the accumulation of sediments and mud. Thus, during the tour, well have a chance to land on Loves Island and Whale Bone Island, the beaches of which are the most important in the area. Furthermore, Birds´ Island is the refuge of a great variety of birds, and is ideal to observe them, especially at dusk, when they come back to their nests, to sleep.
The mangroves are known for their nursery of Tumbes´ crocodiles (Crocodylus acutus); a unique species in Peru, and currently, in danger of extinction. Besides, these mangroves are famous for their variety of black shells and mollusks that are very much appreciated for their flavor, in meals and for their aphrodisiac properties. It is recommendable to visit the mangroves between May and December, because, during the rainy season (From January to April), visit services might be subject to restrictions.
It is the adequate place for the extraction of black shells and mollusks. So, you will have a chance to observe and purchase souvenirs and typical handicraft based on marine resources, many of which made with the spondylus shell (Spondylus pictorium) considered as sacred by the ancient people of Tumbes, since it was worth more than gold to them.
Tumbes´ Mangrove National Sanctuary
This sanctuary is situated about 30 km. from the city of Tumbes (30 minutes by car). It is a forest mainly composed of four species of mangrove trees: The red mangrove tree (Rhizophora mangle), the salted mangrove tree (Avicennia germinans), the white mangrove tree (Laguncularia racemosa) and the button mangrove tree (Conocarpus erectus), as well as another 40 plant species.
These mangroves are the adequate habitat and in many cases, the only refuge for a broad range of plant and animal species. Regarding the aquatic fauna, there are 33 species of snails, 34 of crustaceans, 24 of shelled molluscs and 105 fish species, many of which of commercial value.
We also find over 200 bird species, many of which unique and endangered, such as herons of different species or the frigate bird (Fregata Magni-Ficens) and mammals with a restricted distribution and in scarce or endangered situation, like the mangroves mapache or shell eating dog (Procyon Cancrivorus), the North-eastern otter (Lutra longicaudis), the American crocodile (Crocodylus acutus), in current danger of extinction. You must have an authorization from the State Protected Natural Areas´ National Service (SERNANP), in order to enter the Sanctuary.
Tumbes´ Reserved Zone
It is located 51 km. North-east of the city of Tumbes (1 hour on a pickup truck). It is an area in which the general topography corresponds to low and steep hills, and it is a representative sample of the ecosystem of the Pacific tropical forest, unique in Peru, reason for which it has been integrated in the North-western Peruvian Biosphere Reserve, due to its importance.
It is composed of two well differenced ecological areas: Dry forests and humid forests which are the habitat of over 130 bird species and of many animals, like the North-western otter (Lontra longicaudis), Tumbes´ coto monkey (Allouatta palliate) and the jaguar (Panthera onca), among other species. The flora is constituted of ceibo trees, carob trees, angolo, pretino, palo santo and guayacán trees.
Amotapes Mountains National Park
It is located in the Province of Contralmirante Villar, about 36 km. from the city of Tumbes (40 minutes by car). This park has an extension of 91,300 hectares and it is located on the border between the regions of Tumbes and Piura. Its altitude varies from 120 m.a.s.l. (Rica Playa) to 1,538 m.a.s.l. (Cerro Campana), and its varied geography combines the dry tropical forest, with the hills of the Northern Peruvian Cordillera or Cerros de Amotape.
These mountains gather a great biological diversity, and there, the carob tree grows, along with the hualtaco, charan, zapote, pasallo and guayacán trees. The wild fauna is quite diversified and includes species representative of the tropical forest, of dry areas and of the Cordillera of the Andes, such as the Andean condor, tigrillo, red deer, sajino, Northern ant eater bear, spectacled bear, grey deer, white-necked squirrel and red-headed parakeet. It also is the habitat of restricted distribution species, like the crocodile (Crocodylus acutus) and otter (Lontra longicaudis).
Because of its ecological importance, it has been considered as part of Perus North-western Biosphere Reserve, to which one can have access, to do ecological tourism, observing flora and fauna, as well as navigate on the Tumbes River. Therefore, there are different circuits which include hikes on hills and in gorges.
The Cabeza de Vaca (Cows Head) Archaeological Complex
It is situated 5 km. South-west of the city of Tumbes (About 10 minutes by car), and its enclosures are built with stones and sun-dried mud bricks (Adobes). There, pieces of ceramics, bones and stone instruments were found, still dispersed around the adjacent hills.
Research work indicates an occupation time period which extends from the Chimú cultures Late Intermediate Period, to the Incan Late Horizon Period. This archaeological site had a notable transcendence, in pre-Hispanic times, since it was possible to distinguish a workshop in which shells like the spondylus and bivalves were being worked. In addition, an 8 km. trail was found, built with boulders, which connected the archaeological site with the coast, as well as an irrigation canal and a truncated pyramid in sun-dried mud bricks of 250 meters long, 100 meters wide and 15 meters high, or Huaca (Sacred place) called Cows Head.
The Spanish chroniclers knew it as Corrales (Animal Pens), San Pedro de los Incas (Saint Peter of the Incas) or Ancient Tumbes. It has a Site Museum, in which are exhibited the main pieces found in the research excavations.
The Zorritos Seaside Resort
Located about 28 km. from the city of Tumbes (30 minutes by car), Zorritos is one of the Northern Peruvian coasts most beautiful seaside resorts, and it has all it takes for you to enjoy spectacular vacations: Nice weather all year long, warm sea, a beautiful beach and delicious dishes based on fish and seafood. Furthermore, its fine sand beach and warm waters are ideal to practice sports like jet-ski, surfing and fishing. It is a place of beautiful dusks and unforgettable relax on the beach.
Punta Sal Beach
It is situated about 80 km. from the city of Tumbes (1 hour and 15 minutes by bus). It is one of the most beautiful and long beaches, on the countrys Northern coast, which is characterized by its calm and warm waters, with an average temperature of 24? C (75? F). Punta Sal, also known as Punta Sal Grande (Great Salt End), is an immense horseshoe-shaped beach, with nearly 5 km. in length, with clean and calm waters. The Southern part of the beach is rocky with some small pool formations meanwhile its central and Northern parts are sandy.
The Hervideros Thermal Baths
They are located about 40 km. from the city of Tumbes (45 minutes by car), South of Zorritos, where the water springs forth from a very fine clay area in which a mixture is formed, with components such as iodine, chlorates and iron which give it medicinal properties, while the concentration of mineral substances in dissolution, gives it an aspect similar to that of a mud volcano or a boiling substance.
More About Tumbes:
Terms and Conditions
TRAVEL WARRANTY IN PERU - RESERVATION AND OPERATION REGULATIONS:
In order to improve the organization of our tourist trips and guarantee our service efficiency to intermediaries and customers, INVERSA E.I.R.L., as IN PERU TRAVEL's operator brings its reservation and operation policies, to public attention. Travel warranty in Peru.
Travel warranty in Peru - Programs and Prices
- All our prices are in American Dollars and include all taxes, for non-residents in Peru (Foreign visitors)
- Prices for groups of over 15 participants, are subject to discounts
- Consult our reservation agent at the E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Travel warranty in Peru
- All airplane, train and bus services are subject to changes and availability. Therefore, the reservation date must be confirmed in due time.
Travel warranty in Peru - Reservations and Deposits
- The system only processes reservations received, at least 2 days before the tourist services´ starting date
- In order to confirm your reservation, we must have received your pre-payment of services or guarantee deposit of US $ 100.00 American Dollars
- All payments and deposits can be made through our online system, by accessing our Website: www.inperutravel.com.
Travel warranty in Peru - Tourist Packages / Tour Reservations
- All services included in confirmed tourist packages, are guaranteed, within the established conditions
- Your reservation confirmation must be sent by E-mail, with each tourist package reservation code
- The packages´ total payment must be made 60 days before the travel program's starting date. Travel warranty in Peru.
Travel warranty in Peru - Cancellations
- There will not be any refund for portions of the program which will not be completed, due to the visitor's decision, once the program has started
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, 60 days before service date, will suffer a penalty of USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses. Travel warranty in Peru.
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, between 59 and 30 days before service date, will suffer a penalty of 50% of the package's value, plus USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, between 29 and 16 days before service date, will suffer a penalty of 75% of the package's value, plus USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, 15 or less days before service date, are NOT REFUNDABLE.
Travel warranty in Peru - Hotel Reservations (Not included in our tourist packages)
- All confirmed hotel accommodation services are guaranteed. Travel warranty in Peru.
- The reservation confirmation must be sent by E-mail, with the hotel's reservation code
- Breakfast and transfer from the airport, are included, only if specified and made public by the hotel. If not, the price only includes accommodation.
- Visitors only have to show their passports and hotel reservation voucher, to take the room.
Travel warranty in Peru - Sanctions
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, made more than 16 days before their arrival, will have to be subject to a penalty of USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, within 15 days before their arrival, will have to be subject to a penalty of the value of the first night, plus USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses
- In the case the visitor fails to show up at the hotel, on the reserved date, and has not communicated any cancellation, they will be charged as no show, for all other reserved nights.
Travel warranty in Peru - LIABILITIES AND OBLIGATIONS
- IN PERU TRAVEL is responsible for delivering all services contracted by the customer, according to what has been established in the package's contents. Travel warranty in Peru.
- In cases of strikes, political manifestations, natural disasters, adverse weather conditions or any other cases of Act of God which might affect the tourist program's normal progression, IN PERU TRAVEL, will not be held responsible for unfulfilled services. Therefore, there is no compensation to third parties, whatsoever
- If, for any reason, the transportation means chosen by visitors (Plane, bus, train, etc.) should fail to arrive on the scheduled date and time to start the tour, IN PERU TRAVEL is free of all liability
- The operator will only assume service on the remaining portion of the program, after the visitors´ arrival, and consequently, the lost part of the program, will neither be reprogrammed, nor refunded
- IN PERU TRAVEL reserves the right to modify any package's program, when circumstances require it to offer safety and better service to visitors
- IN PERU TRAVEL will issue all tickets and vouchers, for all services, at the program's starting place or can send these coupons to the address indicated by the customer.