Trujillos Main Square
Under Diego de Almagros orders, Martín de Astete designed that square, as the center of the city. In the central part of the Main Square, stands the Monument to La Libertad (Liberty), a baroque marble sculpture, work of the German Edmundo Muller.
It is situated on the Main Square (Plaza de Armas), and was built in 1666. It shelters valuable works of art, and especially canvases from Cuscos School of Art and sculptures. Its museum exhibits objects related to liturgy, carved wood objects and paintings from the Colonial Period, among which two canvases stand out: Saint Peters Negation and the portrait of Saint John Baptist. This buildings features are the ceiling, decorated with polychrome beams and the crypt, adorned with mural paintings of the apostles.
The Carmels Convent
Built in 1759, it is one of the citys best architectural ensembles composed of a church and a convent with two cloisters. Its painting gallery shelters an important collection of about 150 canvases, in their majority, from the 17th and 18th centuries, among which especially stand out canvases of Quitos School of Art and of the Flemish School of Art.
Trujillos National Universitys Archaeology, Anthropology and History Museum
This museum presents archaeological remains related to the different pre-Hispanic cultures that developed in the Region of La Libertad. It is located in the Casa Risco (Risco House), famous for its patios decorated with murals. There, ceramic, goldsmith work, textile and feather art objects stand out.
Huanchacos Seaside Resort
This seaside resort is located about 13 km. from the city of Trujillo or about 15 minutes by car. The legend tells that, about 800 years ago, Prince Tacaynamo landed in Huanchaco, with his suite, to found the first Chimú dynasty. In its waters, the caballitos de totora (Little totora horses) still navigate, as they are traditional rafts used by fishermen, on Perus Northern coast.
The Archaeological Complex of Chan Chan
It is located 5 km. North-west of Trujillo, in the Moche Valley (10 minutes by car). This urban center is pre-Hispanic Americas largest sun-dried mud brick city, and it was declared as Humanitys Cultural Patrimony, by the UNESCO, in 1986. Chan Chan might have been the Chimú Kingdoms capital city, originally covering over 20 km², from the vicinity of the Port of Huanchaco, all the way to Mount Campana. The archaeologists estimate that the city sheltered more than 100,000 inhabitants.
In its structure, there are squares, living quarters, deposits, workshops, fortified walls and pyramidal temples. Its huge walls are profusely decorated, with relieves of geometrical figures, stylized zoomorphic designs, as well as that of mythological beings. The tour of the archaeological complex is complemented by the visit of its Site Museum.
The Huaca (Sacred place) of the Sun and the Huaca of the Moon
They are located 8 km. south of the city of Trujillo (15 minutes by car). The Huaca of the Sun served as a political and administrative center and the Huaca of the Moon, as a ceremonial center. Between both of these, lies the Urban Area composed of houses, large avenues, passages, corridors and squares. These components confirm the Moches´ high level of political, religious, economic and social organization.
The Huaca of the Moon is composed of superposed temples, in accordance with different stages of the Mochica domination. On some walls, one can observe beautiful polychrome murals, the clearly defined designs of which represent the god Ai-apaec. In the temple, the archaeologists discovered a tomb, with more than 40 sacrificed warriors.
The Dragon or Rainbow Huaca
4 km. from the city of Trujillo (10 minutes by car), stands the sun-dried mud brick pyramid, the construction of which might have been performed at the beginning of the Chimú cultures time period, and at the end of the Tiahuanaco Wari culture, between the 10th and 11th centuries a.D. The building has a quadrangular base and walls decorated with high-relief, representing zoomorphic and anthropomorphic figures. The name of Dragon is due to one of these figures, which represents a two-headed being, with uncountable legs, similar to a dragon. Researchers consider that one of the functions of that place was ceremonial, as it would be linked to rituals in honor of the Rainbow and other natural phenomena related to fertility.
The Emerald Huaca
It is located 3 km. from the city of Trujillo, in the El Cortijo production cooperative (8 minutes by car). This archaeological site is associated to the Chimú culture and was built, in relation with Chan Chan. The construction has a rectangular base (65 meters long and 41 meters wide) and two platforms, with central ramps. Its sun-dried mud brick walls are decorated with high-relief designs, with zoomorphic and geometrical motives.
The Wizards Archaeological Complex
It is located 60 km. from Trujillo, in the Chicama Valley, and belongs to the Province of Ascope (1 hour and 25 minutes by car). It is composed of three constructions which are: The Huaca Prieta (Black Huaca), Huaca Cao and Huaca Cortada (Cut Huaca). There, researchers found evidence of occupation dating back to the pre-ceramic period (5,000 years of antiquity). A great sun-dried mud brick pyramid stands out (Sacrifice wall), of 30 meters high, on the walls of which the Mochicas engraved a very rich iconography. The best known image is that of the Head Cutter; one of the most important polychrome frescos, with the figure of the head cutter, in the ritual scenes represented on the ceramics.
The Reserve and Calipuy National Sanctuary
They are situated 164 km. East of Trujillo (2 hours by car), to get to the city of Santiago de Chuco. It is a bio-geographic space localized between 840 and 3,600 m.a.s.l., with an extension of 4,500 hectares, which shelters and protects one of largest Puyas de Raymondi forests in existence, along with Andean animal species, such as the guanaco. Its climate is characterized by abundant rainfalls, between the months of December and April, and they are located in the suni region or humid wide barren plains.
Pacasmayos Seaside Resort
It is situated 150 km. from Trujillo (2 hours by bus). In 1775, the Spanish conquerors founded the port of Pacasmayo, building a pier, afterwards, to serve economic purposes. Buildings stand out, like the Casa Grace, dating from 1850. From its beaches, one can practice surfing and scuba diving.
The Lady of Caos Museum
It is located in the El Brujo (The Sorcerer) Archaeological Complex, 70 km. from the city of Trujillo, in the District of Magdalena de Cao and the Province of Ascope. This museum is the permanent dwelling place of the female ruler who governed Northern Perus territories, about 1,800 years ago, whose mummy was discovered in perfect state of conservation, in 2005. The museum reconstituted a large sequence of cultural developments that took place throughout more than 5,000 years, in what is today the El Brujo Archaeological Complex. In spite of proceeding from different time periods, the objects which compose that exhibition, all come from there.
More About La Libertad ( Trujillo):
Terms and Conditions
TRAVEL WARRANTY IN PERU - RESERVATION AND OPERATION REGULATIONS:
In order to improve the organization of our tourist trips and guarantee our service efficiency to intermediaries and customers, INVERSA E.I.R.L., as IN PERU TRAVEL's operator brings its reservation and operation policies, to public attention. Travel warranty in Peru.
Travel warranty in Peru - Programs and Prices
- All our prices are in American Dollars and include all taxes, for non-residents in Peru (Foreign visitors)
- Prices for groups of over 15 participants, are subject to discounts
- Consult our reservation agent at the E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Travel warranty in Peru
- All airplane, train and bus services are subject to changes and availability. Therefore, the reservation date must be confirmed in due time.
Travel warranty in Peru - Reservations and Deposits
- The system only processes reservations received, at least 2 days before the tourist services´ starting date
- In order to confirm your reservation, we must have received your pre-payment of services or guarantee deposit of US $ 100.00 American Dollars
- All payments and deposits can be made through our online system, by accessing our Website: www.inperutravel.com.
Travel warranty in Peru - Tourist Packages / Tour Reservations
- All services included in confirmed tourist packages, are guaranteed, within the established conditions
- Your reservation confirmation must be sent by E-mail, with each tourist package reservation code
- The packages´ total payment must be made 60 days before the travel program's starting date. Travel warranty in Peru.
Travel warranty in Peru - Cancellations
- There will not be any refund for portions of the program which will not be completed, due to the visitor's decision, once the program has started
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, 60 days before service date, will suffer a penalty of USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses. Travel warranty in Peru.
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, between 59 and 30 days before service date, will suffer a penalty of 50% of the package's value, plus USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, between 29 and 16 days before service date, will suffer a penalty of 75% of the package's value, plus USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, 15 or less days before service date, are NOT REFUNDABLE.
Travel warranty in Peru - Hotel Reservations (Not included in our tourist packages)
- All confirmed hotel accommodation services are guaranteed. Travel warranty in Peru.
- The reservation confirmation must be sent by E-mail, with the hotel's reservation code
- Breakfast and transfer from the airport, are included, only if specified and made public by the hotel. If not, the price only includes accommodation.
- Visitors only have to show their passports and hotel reservation voucher, to take the room.
Travel warranty in Peru - Sanctions
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, made more than 16 days before their arrival, will have to be subject to a penalty of USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, within 15 days before their arrival, will have to be subject to a penalty of the value of the first night, plus USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses
- In the case the visitor fails to show up at the hotel, on the reserved date, and has not communicated any cancellation, they will be charged as no show, for all other reserved nights.
Travel warranty in Peru - LIABILITIES AND OBLIGATIONS
- IN PERU TRAVEL is responsible for delivering all services contracted by the customer, according to what has been established in the package's contents. Travel warranty in Peru.
- In cases of strikes, political manifestations, natural disasters, adverse weather conditions or any other cases of Act of God which might affect the tourist program's normal progression, IN PERU TRAVEL, will not be held responsible for unfulfilled services. Therefore, there is no compensation to third parties, whatsoever
- If, for any reason, the transportation means chosen by visitors (Plane, bus, train, etc.) should fail to arrive on the scheduled date and time to start the tour, IN PERU TRAVEL is free of all liability
- The operator will only assume service on the remaining portion of the program, after the visitors´ arrival, and consequently, the lost part of the program, will neither be reprogrammed, nor refunded
- IN PERU TRAVEL reserves the right to modify any package's program, when circumstances require it to offer safety and better service to visitors
- IN PERU TRAVEL will issue all tickets and vouchers, for all services, at the program's starting place or can send these coupons to the address indicated by the customer.