Main Tourist Attractions of San Martin
The Gran Pajatén Archaeological Complex
The Gran Pajaten Archaeological Complex pertains to the Chachapoya culture (1200 1500 a.D.), and is located on the right bank of the Montecristo River, at 2,850 m.a.s.l., inside the Río Abiseo (Abiseo River) National Park, declared as Humanitys Natural and Cultural Patrimony, by the UNESCO, in 1991 and 1992, respectively.
This wonderful complex is situated in a place with dense vegetation, and its constructions extend from the plateaus flanks, to the sector called Las Palmas, presenting buildings erected on different levels. The edifications mainly have a circular layout and are seated on top of stone platforms, and their walls present designs in high-relief, with geometrical, zoomorphic and anthropomorphic motives, as decorative elements. Going on a short hike, one gets to the Los Pinchudos Funerary Sanctuary (2,800 m.a.s.l.), built on an impressive cliff, and the funerary context of which presents colorful friezes and anthropomorphic shapes carved in wood.
The Cataracts of Ahuashiyacu
It is located 14 km. North-west of the city of Tarapoto, on the route to Yurimaguas, on a compacted dirt road (30 minutes by car and a 15 minute hike). That beautiful 40 meter high crystalline waterfall runs on rocks, with thick vegetation on both sides, and ends in a pool of about 12 meters in diameter, in which one can bathe. The depth of the pool is variable, allowing for spaces for children, and in its central part, it is much deeper. The surrounding vegetation, with abundant trees and ferns, adds a special beauty to it, meanwhile one can observe varieties of butterflies, birds and insects, around it.
It is located in the middle of the jungle, South-east of the city of Tarapoto, on the Huallaga Rivers right margin. It is a body of water originated by a tectonic collapse or tectonic faults, with an extension of 430.80 hectares. That lakes shoreline is characterized for always being clean and surrounded by meadows and tourist centers, as well as by Sauces inhabited center; the hamlet of Dos de Mayo, and also, the installations of the Fisheries Ministrys Sauce Fish Nursery Center. The lakes main Use is for fish breeding and extensive type of fishing, with the introduction of species, such as tilapia, gamitana, paco, bocachico, acahurazu and tucunare.
It has an interesting tourist infrastructure, and in order to ease the access, stay and recreation of Peruvian and foreign visitors, there are jetties and one can navigate on the lake, on motorized boats, water gliders and canoes.
It is a small lagoon of a great beauty, for its crystalline waters, with an average temperature of 27? C, and it is surrounded by abundant vegetation which reflects in the water, like in a mirror. In the lagoon, the tree tops rise above the water surface, as it was formed by damming rain water.
It is interesting to contemplate the canopies of the trees that remained trapped in the reservoir, and come out of the water, as ferns have grown on them, creating ideal conditions for the nests of birds that frequently fly by, feathering the water. There, one can observe wild ducks, paucares, the kingfisher, manacaracos, etc. The lagoon is surrounded by mountains, with abundant vegetation typical of the tropical forest.
The Venice Lagoon
It is an albufera created from the concentration of aguajes (A kind of palm tree) that surround the lagoon, giving it a special beauty. It has an oval shape (60 meters wide and 170 meters long), with a depth of 2.5 meters. It also has a small zoo.
The El Vaquero Rapids
They are located in the middle of the jungle, within the dry tropical forest area, with greenish waters, in the summer, and is muddy, during the flood season. They run at an altitude of 280 to 300 m.a.s.l., with natural forests on their shores, and steep slope areas.
The course of the Huallaga River is torrential and irregular, as it is conditioned by a riverbed that becomes narrower and constantly changes its inclination between Pilluana and Chazuta, in the sector called El Vaquero, where the El Vaquero and Chumia rapids are located.
In that area, the bed of the Huallaga River becomes considerably narrower, as it crosses or cuts into a ramification of the sub-Andean Cordillera, through an irregular canyon, forming rapids called Mal Paso (Bad Step), making their navigation difficult. This level of difficulty offers a singular attraction for the practice of rafting and fishing.
Paucaryacus Thermal Baths
They are situated 35 km. from Tarapoto (1 hour and a half), on the way to Sauce. There are three pools, with sulfurous, salted and warm waters, with average temperatures of 25? C (77? F) in one, 36? C (97? F) in another and 45? C (113? F) in the last one, to which medicinal properties are attributed.
Carpishoyakus Cascades and San Josés Thermal Baths
They are located 36 km. of Tarapoto (1 hour), on the way to Yurimaguas. On a compacted dirt road and after a 20 minute hike, one gets to the thermal baths formed by a set of hot water trickles that sprout from the mountainside, and from there, one can hike for another 15 minutes, to get to a great pool of temperate waters.
More About San Martín - Tarapoto:
Terms and Conditions
TRAVEL WARRANTY IN PERU - RESERVATION AND OPERATION REGULATIONS:
In order to improve the organization of our tourist trips and guarantee our service efficiency to intermediaries and customers, INVERSA E.I.R.L., as IN PERU TRAVEL's operator brings its reservation and operation policies, to public attention. Travel warranty in Peru.
Travel warranty in Peru - Programs and Prices
- All our prices are in American Dollars and include all taxes, for non-residents in Peru (Foreign visitors)
- Prices for groups of over 15 participants, are subject to discounts
- Consult our reservation agent at the E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Travel warranty in Peru
- All airplane, train and bus services are subject to changes and availability. Therefore, the reservation date must be confirmed in due time.
Travel warranty in Peru - Reservations and Deposits
- The system only processes reservations received, at least 2 days before the tourist services´ starting date
- In order to confirm your reservation, we must have received your pre-payment of services or guarantee deposit of US $ 100.00 American Dollars
- All payments and deposits can be made through our online system, by accessing our Website: www.inperutravel.com.
Travel warranty in Peru - Tourist Packages / Tour Reservations
- All services included in confirmed tourist packages, are guaranteed, within the established conditions
- Your reservation confirmation must be sent by E-mail, with each tourist package reservation code
- The packages´ total payment must be made 60 days before the travel program's starting date. Travel warranty in Peru.
Travel warranty in Peru - Cancellations
- There will not be any refund for portions of the program which will not be completed, due to the visitor's decision, once the program has started
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, 60 days before service date, will suffer a penalty of USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses. Travel warranty in Peru.
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, between 59 and 30 days before service date, will suffer a penalty of 50% of the package's value, plus USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, between 29 and 16 days before service date, will suffer a penalty of 75% of the package's value, plus USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, 15 or less days before service date, are NOT REFUNDABLE.
Travel warranty in Peru - Hotel Reservations (Not included in our tourist packages)
- All confirmed hotel accommodation services are guaranteed. Travel warranty in Peru.
- The reservation confirmation must be sent by E-mail, with the hotel's reservation code
- Breakfast and transfer from the airport, are included, only if specified and made public by the hotel. If not, the price only includes accommodation.
- Visitors only have to show their passports and hotel reservation voucher, to take the room.
Travel warranty in Peru - Sanctions
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, made more than 16 days before their arrival, will have to be subject to a penalty of USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, within 15 days before their arrival, will have to be subject to a penalty of the value of the first night, plus USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses
- In the case the visitor fails to show up at the hotel, on the reserved date, and has not communicated any cancellation, they will be charged as no show, for all other reserved nights.
Travel warranty in Peru - LIABILITIES AND OBLIGATIONS
- IN PERU TRAVEL is responsible for delivering all services contracted by the customer, according to what has been established in the package's contents. Travel warranty in Peru.
- In cases of strikes, political manifestations, natural disasters, adverse weather conditions or any other cases of Act of God which might affect the tourist program's normal progression, IN PERU TRAVEL, will not be held responsible for unfulfilled services. Therefore, there is no compensation to third parties, whatsoever
- If, for any reason, the transportation means chosen by visitors (Plane, bus, train, etc.) should fail to arrive on the scheduled date and time to start the tour, IN PERU TRAVEL is free of all liability
- The operator will only assume service on the remaining portion of the program, after the visitors´ arrival, and consequently, the lost part of the program, will neither be reprogrammed, nor refunded
- IN PERU TRAVEL reserves the right to modify any package's program, when circumstances require it to offer safety and better service to visitors
- IN PERU TRAVEL will issue all tickets and vouchers, for all services, at the program's starting place or can send these coupons to the address indicated by the customer.