Traditional Salkantay Trail to Machu Picchu (05 days / 04 nights)
This is a traditional and alternative trail to go to Machu Picchu, which combines several altitudinal levels, with uphill hikes up to 4,600 m .a.s.l., and impressive views of the snow-capped Mount Salkantay ( 6,271 meters of altitude).
The tough, but also beautiful landscape takes us to places among snow-covered mountains and high Andean areas, to descend to inter-Andean and subtropical valleys, visiting surroundings, beaches, rivers, microclimates, typical villages, thermal baths and archaeological sites.
In addition, the Andean and tropical fauna and flora turn this hike into an unforgettable experience which ends with the visit of Machu Picchu.
Program: Traditional Salkantay Trail to Machu Picchu
DAY 01 - Salkantay: Cusco / Mollepata / Soraypampa
- 6:00 a.m.: Departure on a tourist transportation, from your hotel, in the city of Cusco , to the locality of Mollepata
- Contact with the horsemen, equipment logistics, camping accessories and horses
- Hike around mountainous places, going by the villages of Cruzpata and Challacancha
- Lunch (Picnic)
- Arrival in Soraypampa ( 3,850 m .a.s.l.) and installation of the campsite
- Dinner and overnight stay.
DAY 02 - Salkantay: Soraypampa / Chaullay
- Tough and at the same time, fascinating hike, passing by the highest point of the route; the Salkantay Mountain Pass ( 4,600 m .a.s.l.), with impressive views of the snow-capped Mounts Salkantay ( 6,271 meters of altitude), Humantay and Huayanay
- Lunch in the area of Huaracmachay
- Downhill hike to the area of Chaullay ( 2,950 m .a.s.l.)
- Setting up the campsite and dinner.
DAY 03 - Salkantay: Chaullay / Playa (Sahuayaco) / Santa Teresa
- Hike by the Collpapampa Thermal Baths, Arrayanniyoc, tropical forests, with abundant flora and fauna, observation of beautiful species of orchids, in an interesting ecosystem
- Arrival in Sahuayaco (Playa)
- Transfer on a minibus, to the village of SantaTeresa ( 1,645 m .a.s.l.)
- Setting up the campsite and dinner
- Recreation and relax at Cocalmayo´s Thermo-medicinal Baths, in a natural paradise.
DAY 04 - Salkantay: Santa Teresa / Hidroeléctrica / Aguas Calientes
- 7:00 a.m.: Start of the hike to the village of Machu Picchu (Aguas Calientes), on hanging bridges and oroyas, surrounded by abundant nature
- Lunch in the area of Intiwatana (Hidroeléctrica), at Km. 122 of the railway
- Guided visit of the Archaeological Compound of Intiwatana
- Hike along the railway tracks, parallel to the Vilcanota River
- 3:00 p.m.: Arrival at the village of Machu Picchu and accommodation at a hotel
- Recreation at Aguas Calientes´ Thermal Baths (Optional and on your own account)
- Dinner on your own account
- Discotheque (Optional and on your own account).
DAY 05 - Salkantay: Excursion to the Incan City of Machu Picchu
- Breakfast at your hotel
- Tourist bus ride up to the Incan City of Machu Picchu, Wonder of the Modern World, located among abrupt mountains and almost inaccessible places, presenting a set of houses, squares, stairways, towers, walls, water fountains, ceremonial places, such as the Intiwatana (Solar observatory), sacred temples and benched terraces, with an incredible urban harmony, displaying the Incan engineering’s high level of development.
- Tourist bus ride down to Aguas Calientes
- Buffet lunch (Optionally, you can have lunch at the Sanctuary Lodge, near the entrance of the Incan City . In this case, we’ll change the return bus schedule)
- 4:43 p.m.: Departure of the tourist train from Machu Picchu to Cusco
- 8:13 p.m.: Arrival at Poroy’s train station and transfer to your hotel.
Includes – Salkantay:
- Bus transportation to Mollepata
- Bilingual official tour guide
- Cook and horsemen
- Horses (For the gear only)
- Tents, dining and kitchen tents (Matresses)
- Transportation Sahuayaco (Playa) / Santa Teresa
- Entrance fee Cocalmayo´s Thermal Baths
- Up and down bus ticket in Machu Picchu Pueblo
- Guided excursion to Machu Picchu and entrance fee
- Tourist train ticket Machu Picchu Pueblo / Cusco
- Transfer train station / hotel
- Full meals during the hike (Vegetarian option)
- 01 hotel night in Machu Picchu Pueblo
- 01 buffet lunch and 01 breakfast
- Support with communication logistics
- First aid kit, oxygen tank and emergency ropes.
Does not included – Salkantay:
- 19 % VAT tax (For Peruvians only)
- National and international flight tickets
- Airport taxes (TUAA) USD $ 06.05, to board national flights and USD $ 30.25, for international flights
- Non-programed food, extras, snacks, alcoholic drinks, phone calls, laundry shop, tips, etc.
- Horses (On rent for personal equipment)
- Sleeping bag (On rent)
- Services not established in this program
- Additional nights due to flight or train cancellations, or that of other services, for reasons beyond the company’s control.
We recomemded that you bring:
- Standard backpack
- Sleeping bag
- Adequate clothes for cold and heat
- Hiking shoes
- Waterproof poncho for the rain
- Bathing suit and towel
- Cap, flashlight and sunglasses
- Canteen, mineral water, water purifying tablets and snacks
- Repellent and sun blocking lotion
- Personal hygiene kit
- Photo camera, camcorder and batteries
- Extra money in Soles.