The Cathedral of Piura
It was founded in 1588, and dedicated to the Virgin of Assumption and Saint Michael Archangel. Inside, there is a baroque altar of the Virgin of Fátima, carved in cedar wood from Nicaragua and covered with gold sheets, which probably was one of the first in Peru. The Main Altar was rebuilt by the Spanish sculptor Julián Alagua, after the 1912 earthquake, in accordance with the plateresque style. As the Mother Church, the Cathedral holds Piuras parochial archives.
The Admiral Miguel Graus Museum House
The Admiral Miguel Grau, hero of the Pacific War against Chile (1879), was born and lived in that house which is composed of four rooms and a library, where pictures, letters, diplomas and documents are exposed, along with the furniture used by the Great Admiral.
12 km. South-west of the city of Piura (15 minutes by car), is that village of excellent craftspeople dedicated to weaving straw and cotton fabrics, as well as to the elaboration of gold and silver fine pieces of work.
The Archaeological Complex of Narihualá
From the locality of Catacaos, there are 3 km. to get to the archaeological site (5 minutes by car). Narihualá is considered as the main urban center of a local pre-Incan culture called Tallán. The constructions are delimited by platforms of sun-dried mud bricks, with mud cement, and organized in four sectors. Its total surface is of 6 hectares, and its construction shows Chimú influence. It also has a Site Museum.
The Huaringas Lagoons (3,957 m.a.s.l.)
Las Huaringas is a circuit of 14 lagoons, located in the Huamaní Mountain Range, at 3,950 m.a.s.l., pertaining to the Province of Huancabamba, and which were converted, since ancestral times, into one of Perus most magnetic places, due to the energetic potency, as well as healing and magical powers they concentrate, according to what thousands of visitors and knowledgeable people in Andean esoterism, say. However, there are two lagoons preferred by the healers and shamans, to do their healing work: The Shimbe Lagoon, in which Flourishing Baths are performed, and the Black lagoon, where all kinds of healing and magic are done.
Huaringa is an Aymara word which comes from the word Huari, meaning thick liquid or also God of Strength. It is said that the Huaringas´ freezing cold waters have healing properties, and by means of the rites performed by the healers or shamans, many people were cured from health problems, as well as from love and poverty related problems. In that part of Peru, the esoteric tradition is millenary and it stands out thanks to the eloquent descriptions made by the chroniclers, as well as that of thousands of travelers who visited the place.
In order to get to that magical place, from the locality of Huancabamba, one goes by bus to the hamlet of Salalá, in about 2 hours and a half, followed by a 15 km. stretch, on mules or on foot, to the Shimbe and Black lagoons, which takes from two to three hours, respectively. There are fourteen lagoons famous for their medicinal properties, and the main one, the Black Lagoon or Huaringa (The meaning of which in Spanish is The Inca's Lagoon), gives its name to all of them and it is the favorite of the majority of healers. Meanwhile, the lagoon called Shimbe or Siviricuche (Turquoise Lake) is the largest and the only one in which fishing is authorized. The areas climate is very cold, as well as the waters temperature, and all around, the ichu grows, along with the chilhua, totora fields and bushes like the vilco and quinahuiro.
The Cascade of Citán
5 km. from the village of Sóndor, this cascade, with 25 meters in height, is located in the Curlata Gorge (2,600 m.a.s.l.). It is recommended to visit it during the dry season.
The Chira Valley
It is located 39 km. north of the city of Piura (45 minutes by car). It shelters rice fields, lemon tree plantations and palm trees from Marcavelica. It also is a propitious place for the practice of aquatic sports, such as jet-ski or boat rides. In the heart of the valley, lies the city of Sullana, known as the Chiras Pearl.
The El Angolo Hunting Estate
It is located 115 km. North of the city of Sullana (2 hours by 4x4 pickup truck), with an area of 65,000 hectares, of which only 10,200 are fenced. It extends on part of the Amotape Mountain Ranges foothills. The landscape is dominated by a dry forest and a set of gorges and hills. The altitude varies between 540 m.a.s.l., in the hamlet of El Angolo, and around 1,613 m.a.s.l., on top of Mount Carrizal. It shelters a varied fauna, among which 17 species of mammals stand out, like the white tail deer, puma (Mountain lion), wild cat, sajino, squirrel and the ant eater bear.
There are 150 species of birds, such as the condor, royal vulture, sparrow hawk, kestrel, mountain partridge and doves, as well as 13 species of reptiles, 7 of amphibians and 10 of fish.
Among the flora, the carob tree stands out, along with the faique, palo santo, almond tree, polopolo frejolillo, ceibo, zapote and hualtaco. Hunting in the area, is regulated and controlled. This area is included in the North-western Biosphere Reserve, recognized by the UNESCO, since March 1st 1977.
The Amotape Mountains National Park
It is located 90 km. North of the city of Sullana (1 and a half hour by car), nearby the hamlet of El Papayo; control checkpoint and access way to the park which is shared between the regions of Piura and Tumbes, and covers a territory of 91, 300 hectares, presenting variable altitudes, between 200 and 1,613 m.a.s.l. It has a geographical relief marked by hills and mountains of the Brea or Amotape Mountain Range, with an average annual temperature of 24? C.
This dry equatorial forest shelters a great biological diversity, and among the most characteristic trees, carobs, hualtacos, charanes, zapotes, pasallos and guayacanes. The wild fauna is also very rich in species representative of the tropical forest, of arid areas and the Andean Cordillera, among which the Andean condor stands out, as well as the tigrillo, red deer, sajino, grey deer, white-necked squirrel and red-headed parakeet. The park is part of the North-western Biosphere Reserve.
San Pedros Mangroves (San Isidro Cove or Beach)
They are situated 45 km. South-west of the city of Piura (25 minutes by car), and cover 1,500 hectares, of which 400 are mangroves. The geographical relief is flat in the mangrove and rolling in its surroundings, due to the presence of dunes, and very near, the Sechura River runs parallel to the coast, in its last five kilometers.
There, the rivers original delta filled up with sand, forming a barrier which prevents it to directly get to the sea. This deviation originated, towards the North, a strip of marine bank which varies between 200 and 350 meters in width and forms the rivers right margin. The most abundant vegetation is the black mangrove tree, and the fauna is characterized by the presence of 17 bird families. On the Southern side of San Pedro, we get to the Chulliyachi Cove (Caleta de Chulliyachi), located only 8 km. west of the city of Sechura. This cove is very frequented during the summer.
The Colán Beach
It is located 65 km. West of the city of Piura (55 minutes by car) or 15 km. from the city of Paita (10 minutes by car). It is a sandy beach, with calm and warm waters.
The seaside resort is characterized by its wooden houses located on stone terraces and raised on piles, and from their balconies, one can contemplate some of the best sunsets on the Peruvian coast.
The Los Órganos Beach
It lies 175 km. North of the city of Piura (2 hours by car), at the level of Km. 1,152 of the North Panamerican Road. It is a long and broad beach located at the foot of Mount Peña Mala. In that area, one can appreciate small patches of carob trees and a handmade pier for fishermen.
Máncoras Seaside Resort
It is situated 187 km. from the city of Piura (2 hours by car), at the level of Km. 1,164 of the North Panamerican Road. With its warm waters and excellent sun, this seaside resort is considered as one of the most important on the Peruvian coast. Its waves stand out, as they are perfect for the practice of the Hawaiian board and body board.
The beach, located between the Fernández (Máncora) and Cunulsa gorges, is broad and characterized for presenting small pools which depend on the seas infiltrations. Máncora is equipped with hostels, restaurants, surfing board rental shops and handicraft centers.
The Cabo Blanco Beach
It lies 3 km. West of the District of El Alto (5 minutes by car), and 153 km. North of Piura (2 hours and 15 minutes by car). It is considered as a marine paradise, thanks to the richness of its plankton which propitiates a greater diversity of fish and marine mammals, among which the golden swordfish and merlín stand out, as well as certain species of cetaceans.
The place is ideal for altitude and underwater fishing, as well as for surfing.
The Vicús Archaeological Zone
The archaeological complex is situated 7 km. South-east of the locality of Chulucanas, on Mount Vicús and surroundings (10 minutes by car), and is a sample of the development of an important culture which left precious works in goldsmith work and ceramics. It encompasses the Vicús and Yecala mountains (50 km. from Piura).
The Vicús Museum
It contains 3 halls: The Olleros Hall, Metallurgic Technology Hall and Gold Hall which shelters a collection of 61 gold objects which show the development and technological progress reached by the Vicús culture.
More About Piura:
Terms and Conditions
TRAVEL WARRANTY IN PERU - RESERVATION AND OPERATION REGULATIONS:
In order to improve the organization of our tourist trips and guarantee our service efficiency to intermediaries and customers, INVERSA E.I.R.L., as IN PERU TRAVEL's operator brings its reservation and operation policies, to public attention. Travel warranty in Peru.
Travel warranty in Peru - Programs and Prices
- All our prices are in American Dollars and include all taxes, for non-residents in Peru (Foreign visitors)
- Prices for groups of over 15 participants, are subject to discounts
- Consult our reservation agent at the E-mail: email@example.com Travel warranty in Peru
- All airplane, train and bus services are subject to changes and availability. Therefore, the reservation date must be confirmed in due time.
Travel warranty in Peru - Reservations and Deposits
- The system only processes reservations received, at least 2 days before the tourist services´ starting date
- In order to confirm your reservation, we must have received your pre-payment of services or guarantee deposit of US $ 100.00 American Dollars
- All payments and deposits can be made through our online system, by accessing our Website: www.inperutravel.com.
Travel warranty in Peru - Tourist Packages / Tour Reservations
- All services included in confirmed tourist packages, are guaranteed, within the established conditions
- Your reservation confirmation must be sent by E-mail, with each tourist package reservation code
- The packages´ total payment must be made 60 days before the travel program's starting date. Travel warranty in Peru.
Travel warranty in Peru - Cancellations
- There will not be any refund for portions of the program which will not be completed, due to the visitor's decision, once the program has started
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, 60 days before service date, will suffer a penalty of USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses. Travel warranty in Peru.
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, between 59 and 30 days before service date, will suffer a penalty of 50% of the package's value, plus USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, between 29 and 16 days before service date, will suffer a penalty of 75% of the package's value, plus USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, 15 or less days before service date, are NOT REFUNDABLE.
Travel warranty in Peru - Hotel Reservations (Not included in our tourist packages)
- All confirmed hotel accommodation services are guaranteed. Travel warranty in Peru.
- The reservation confirmation must be sent by E-mail, with the hotel's reservation code
- Breakfast and transfer from the airport, are included, only if specified and made public by the hotel. If not, the price only includes accommodation.
- Visitors only have to show their passports and hotel reservation voucher, to take the room.
Travel warranty in Peru - Sanctions
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, made more than 16 days before their arrival, will have to be subject to a penalty of USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, within 15 days before their arrival, will have to be subject to a penalty of the value of the first night, plus USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses
- In the case the visitor fails to show up at the hotel, on the reserved date, and has not communicated any cancellation, they will be charged as no show, for all other reserved nights.
Travel warranty in Peru - LIABILITIES AND OBLIGATIONS
- IN PERU TRAVEL is responsible for delivering all services contracted by the customer, according to what has been established in the package's contents. Travel warranty in Peru.
- In cases of strikes, political manifestations, natural disasters, adverse weather conditions or any other cases of Act of God which might affect the tourist program's normal progression, IN PERU TRAVEL, will not be held responsible for unfulfilled services. Therefore, there is no compensation to third parties, whatsoever
- If, for any reason, the transportation means chosen by visitors (Plane, bus, train, etc.) should fail to arrive on the scheduled date and time to start the tour, IN PERU TRAVEL is free of all liability
- The operator will only assume service on the remaining portion of the program, after the visitors´ arrival, and consequently, the lost part of the program, will neither be reprogrammed, nor refunded
- IN PERU TRAVEL reserves the right to modify any package's program, when circumstances require it to offer safety and better service to visitors
- IN PERU TRAVEL will issue all tickets and vouchers, for all services, at the program's starting place or can send these coupons to the address indicated by the customer.