The Cathedral of the City of Chiclayo
It is built in the neoclassic style and dates from 1869. It presents a double main doorway supported by Dorian columns which stand in front of the entrance ways three arches. In that church, composed of three naves, the carved wood image of the Poor Christ stands out.
Monsefús Handicraft Market
Monsefús Handicraft Market is located 14 km. South of the city of Chiclayo (15 minutes by bus), and is known for its straw woven fabrics, hats, baskets, purses and saddlebags, in cotton and thread. In addition, its embroidery is famous, in which gold and silver threads are even used. There, one can acquire delicately embroidered napkins, table cloths, blouses, skirts, ponchos and blankets.
Eten is located 22.4 km. South of the city of Chiclayo (25 minutes by bus), and is known as the worlds third eucharistic city which celebrates with great religious fervor, the Fair of the Divine Childs Miracle, commemorating his 3 time apparition, in the Blessed Wafer, on July 22, 1619. It is the capital city of macora straw woven fabric and of fine embroidery. Etens beaches are bathed by calm waters and are located just 2.2 km. from the village.
It is situated 46 km. South-east of the city of Chiclayo (1 hour and a half by bus). In Zaña, well have a chance to appreciate the remains of what was a vice-regal city founded in 1563. In reality, it is a ghost town and the origin of legends and stories, like that which narrates the invasion and painful pillage, by the hands of the pirate Edward Davis, in 1686. But finally, it was destroyed by the El Niño phenomenon, in 1720, and today, only the vestiges remain of the San Agustín and San Francisco monasteries, as well as the La Merced Churchs doorway. It was the birthplace of Afro-American dances, like the erotic Golpe de Tierra (Earth's Blow), tonderos and festejo.
The Archaeological Complex of Huaca Rajada (Lord of Sipán)
It is located 35 km. South-east of the city of Chiclayo (45 minutes by car), within the boundaries of the Pomalca ex-farm. There, in 1987, a tomb was discovered with the intact remains of a Mochica Lord; the Lord of Sipán. The discovery allowed the appreciation of the burial ritual of a Mochica ruler who was accompanied by a warrior, a priest, two women, a child, a dog, a lama and a guardian with amputated feet. The funerary contents included numerous gold and silver jewels decorated with turquoise and lapis-lazuli.
The construction or Huaca (Sacred Place) is composed of a funerary platform and two sun-dried mud brick pyramids, also pertaining to the Mochica culture (1st to 6th century a.D.).
Pimentels Seaside Resort
Located 11 km. West of the city of Chiclayo (15 minutes by car), this modern seaside resort is a good place to practice the Hawaiian board, surf and jet-ski. In addition, well be able to observe the fishermen going out to sea, on their ancestral caballitos de totora (Little totora horses) which are traditional rafts used on the Northern coast of Peru, since pre-Colombian times.
The Chaparrí Ecological Reserve
It is located 95 km. South-east of the city of Chiclayo (1 and a half hour by car). It covers a territory of 34,412 hectares, and belongs to the farming community of Muchik Santa Catalina of Chongoyape. It is the first private conservation area in Peru, the main objective of which is the conservation of the areas dry forests and that of the rich biodiversity they shelter, as well as of the establishment of mechanisms that allow the sustainable use of natural resources. It protects important endangered species, such as the Spectacled Bear, Guanaco, White-winged Turkey and Andean Condor.
The Province of Ferreñafe
The locality of Ferreñafe, located 18 km. North-east of the city of Chiclayo (20 minutes by car), is inhabited by farmers dedicated to growing rice. There, the old Santa Lucía Church stands out, built in the baroque style and known as Land of the Double Faith, because of its maintaining Catholic and Shamanic beliefs at the same time.
Sicáns National Museum
It is located 18 km. north of the city of Chiclayo (20 minutes by car). Sicán or House of the Moon (Casa de la Luna) is a museum that gathers the product of research conducted by Archaeologist Izumi Shimada, Director of the Sicán Archaeological Project (1978), during more than two decades. The exhibition recollects the objects found in the excavations of the Batán Grande site and displays them as they were used or made. The intention is to fix different aspects related to the Sicán culture, through the representation of details of domestic life, manufacturing processes or productive work. In its halls, two tombs of members of the nobility are represented (interpreted), which contain gold ornaments and other valuable belongings.
The museum offers detailed information due respect to the excavation process and conservation of the site, as well as about the chronology, development, exchange networks, economic activities, funerary patterns and the cosmo-vision of the Sicán or Lambayeque culture.
Protected Natural Area Pómac Forest Historical Sanctuary
The dry forest is located 35 km. north of the city of Chiclayo (40 minutes by car), which in turn, is the refuge for carob trees, birds and archaeological remains of the Sicán culture. There, 20 pre-Incan structures were discovered, such as Huaca, Las Ventanas, Huaca Lucía, Huaca La Merced or Huaca Rodillona, among others. The archaeological findings astonished by the quantity of gold objects found.
The Sicán Archaeological Project located a burial ground, with a valuable funerary content composed of crowns, circlet rings, masks, bracelets, necklaces, weapons, protectors and other gold objects, along with turquoise beads, spondylus seashells, lapis-lazuli and amber. In itself, the forest presents a varied flora of zapotes, guarangos and carob trees.
The Batán Grande Archaeological Complex
It is located 26 km. from Chiclayo and covers 13,500 hectares. At the end of 1936 and beginning of 1937, a series of gold objects was found in the Huaca La Ventana (The Window), and among them, the gold Tumi (Ceremonial knife) and the winged-eyed mask. The Lord of Sicáns tomb was discovered, in 1991.
The City of Lambayeque
It is located 12 km. north-east of the city of Chiclayo (10 minutes by bus). It conserves beautiful vice-regal mansions, such as the Casa Cúneo and Casa Descalzi. But, the best known is the Casa de la Logia Masónica (The Masonic Loges House) which owes its fame to its old carved balcony of more than 400 years of age and 64 meters in length, as it is considered to be Perus longest balcony. That house is located at the intersection of the Dos de Mayo and San Martín Streets.
San Pedros Church, in Lambayeque
It is located 12 km. north-east of the city of Chiclayo (10 minutes by bus), on the Main Square (Plaza de Armas) of the city of Lambayeque. Its construction dates from the mid 17th century, and the church is characterized by its twin towers, three naves and semicircular archways. In the lateral naves, one can appreciate gold covered wood rococo altars dating from the 18th century, among which the best known is that of Our Lady of Mercy (Nuestra Señora de las Mercedes). Behind some of the altars, walls were found, decorated with mural paintings, dating back to the 17th century.
Sipáns Royal Tombs National Museum
It is located in the city of Chiclayo, and has a modern architecture which shelters the gold, silver and copper object collection proceeding from the Lord of Sipáns tomb. The museum is directed by Archaeologist Walter Alva, the projects manager and director who also was the discoverer of the above-mentioned burial, in the archaeological area of Huaca Rajada, in the locality of Sipán. Among the objects found, ear pendants stand out, along with ceremonial scepters, medallions, a heavy circular massive gold ingot, nose rings, gold necklaces, in the shape of peanuts, as well as a gold headdress, eyes, helmet and chin piece.
The Bruning National Archaeological Museum
It is located in the city of Chiclayo, and presents the collection of archaeological findings gathered by the German ethnographer Enrique Bruning. In its four floors, are exposed elements of pottery, textile, stone, wood work, and so on, displaying the vigorous artistic and technological character of the Moche, Vicus, Chavín and Incan regional cultures, along the past 5,000 years.
That museums Gold Hall is an exposition of incalculable historical value, of pre-Colombian America.
The Archaeological Complex of Huaca Chotuna
It is located 12 km. west of the city of Chiclayo (15 minutes by car). It is a set of truncated pyramids and enclosures, which extends over an area of 20 hectares. This place is identified with Naylamps legend and the foundation of the Lambayeque culture. According to that legend, Naylamp himself ordered the construction of one of the temples in the complex, known as Chot, where he placed a green colored stone idol, known as Ñam Pallec. Up to present days, the local people fear and respect the Huaca (Sacred place), as they believe that, Naylamp and his descendants are still there, in the depths of the earth.
Túcumes Archaeological Complex
33 km. north of the city of Chiclayo and about 1 km. east of the village of Túcume (30 minutes by car), is located the Archaeological Complex of Túcume, the antiquity of which dates back to 700 a.D. According to the legend, it was founded by Calac, descendant of Naylamp. Túcume or the Pyramids? Valley, as it is also called, is composed of 26 pyramids, among which stand out The Huaca del Pueblo, La Raya, El Sol and Las Estacas. In addition to its impressive archaeological richness, you will have a chance to enjoy, on the spot, the delicious Northern food, healing experiences, traditional medicine and cultural exchanges.
More about Lambayeque Chiclayo:
Terms and Conditions
TRAVEL WARRANTY IN PERU - RESERVATION AND OPERATION REGULATIONS:
In order to improve the organization of our tourist trips and guarantee our service efficiency to intermediaries and customers, INVERSA E.I.R.L., as IN PERU TRAVEL's operator brings its reservation and operation policies, to public attention. Travel warranty in Peru.
Travel warranty in Peru - Programs and Prices
- All our prices are in American Dollars and include all taxes, for non-residents in Peru (Foreign visitors)
- Prices for groups of over 15 participants, are subject to discounts
- Consult our reservation agent at the E-mail: email@example.com Travel warranty in Peru
- All airplane, train and bus services are subject to changes and availability. Therefore, the reservation date must be confirmed in due time.
Travel warranty in Peru - Reservations and Deposits
- The system only processes reservations received, at least 2 days before the tourist services´ starting date
- In order to confirm your reservation, we must have received your pre-payment of services or guarantee deposit of US $ 100.00 American Dollars
- All payments and deposits can be made through our online system, by accessing our Website: www.inperutravel.com.
Travel warranty in Peru - Tourist Packages / Tour Reservations
- All services included in confirmed tourist packages, are guaranteed, within the established conditions
- Your reservation confirmation must be sent by E-mail, with each tourist package reservation code
- The packages´ total payment must be made 60 days before the travel program's starting date. Travel warranty in Peru.
Travel warranty in Peru - Cancellations
- There will not be any refund for portions of the program which will not be completed, due to the visitor's decision, once the program has started
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, 60 days before service date, will suffer a penalty of USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses. Travel warranty in Peru.
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, between 59 and 30 days before service date, will suffer a penalty of 50% of the package's value, plus USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, between 29 and 16 days before service date, will suffer a penalty of 75% of the package's value, plus USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, 15 or less days before service date, are NOT REFUNDABLE.
Travel warranty in Peru - Hotel Reservations (Not included in our tourist packages)
- All confirmed hotel accommodation services are guaranteed. Travel warranty in Peru.
- The reservation confirmation must be sent by E-mail, with the hotel's reservation code
- Breakfast and transfer from the airport, are included, only if specified and made public by the hotel. If not, the price only includes accommodation.
- Visitors only have to show their passports and hotel reservation voucher, to take the room.
Travel warranty in Peru - Sanctions
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, made more than 16 days before their arrival, will have to be subject to a penalty of USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, within 15 days before their arrival, will have to be subject to a penalty of the value of the first night, plus USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses
- In the case the visitor fails to show up at the hotel, on the reserved date, and has not communicated any cancellation, they will be charged as no show, for all other reserved nights.
Travel warranty in Peru - LIABILITIES AND OBLIGATIONS
- IN PERU TRAVEL is responsible for delivering all services contracted by the customer, according to what has been established in the package's contents. Travel warranty in Peru.
- In cases of strikes, political manifestations, natural disasters, adverse weather conditions or any other cases of Act of God which might affect the tourist program's normal progression, IN PERU TRAVEL, will not be held responsible for unfulfilled services. Therefore, there is no compensation to third parties, whatsoever
- If, for any reason, the transportation means chosen by visitors (Plane, bus, train, etc.) should fail to arrive on the scheduled date and time to start the tour, IN PERU TRAVEL is free of all liability
- The operator will only assume service on the remaining portion of the program, after the visitors´ arrival, and consequently, the lost part of the program, will neither be reprogrammed, nor refunded
- IN PERU TRAVEL reserves the right to modify any package's program, when circumstances require it to offer safety and better service to visitors
- IN PERU TRAVEL will issue all tickets and vouchers, for all services, at the program's starting place or can send these coupons to the address indicated by the customer.