The Carnival of Oruro is a religious festival dating back more than 2000 years that takes place in Oruro, Bolivia. It is one of UNESCO’s Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity. Originally an indigenous festival, the celebration later was transformed to incorporate a Christian ritual around the Virgin of Candelaria (Virgin of Socavón). The Diablada became the leading traditional dance of the festival. Throughout the festival, more than 48 groups of folk dancers specializing in 18 different folk dances perform a pilgrimage to the Shrine of the Tunnel every Saturday of the carnival in a traditional parade.
PROGRAM CARNIVAL OF ORURO 2015
Carnival of Oruro 2015 will be held from 12, 13, 14 and 15 February 2015. The Great Pilgrimage to Socavón will be Saturday February 14 and Sunday Entrance to the Corso February 15. A few weeks before beginning the traditional festivities called “Treats”.
Festival of Bands
- Date: Saturday, February 7, 2015 (according Role)
- Location: City of Oruro
- Bands Festival from 9:00 am. In Civic Square, near the Shrine of the tunnel.
- Date: Sunday, February 8, 2015
- Location: Point of Departure (. Potosí Esq Aroma) Hrs .: 6:30 a.m. Income by role
- The last pre-entry Majestic Oruro Carnival, a feast is the last rehearsal before the entry lavish Carnival in 48 folkloric groups that make their way through the streets of the city of Oruro dancing to traditional bands and showing off their choreography.
Native Check Anata Andina 2015
- Date: Thursday, February 12, 2015
- Location: On the road from Carnival hrs. 8:30 a.m.
- Anata Andina is the celebration of the original farmer to entertain the abundance of agricultural production that the “Pachamama” Mother Earth has given him. This celebration belongs to rain weather (jallupacha) in crops have flourished. Proof of this is that farmers carry loads of flowers and their products.
- Anata Andina is done two days before the lavish Carnival of Oruro, involving hundreds of extras. Participants arrive to the city of Oruro from the provinces of the Department.
- During the Andean Anata dancers demonstrate their native music, dance and unique clothing. This event demonstrates the Bolivia india, original and authentic having a live in-country culture.
- Date: Friday, February 13, 2015 (according Role)
- Location: City of Oruro
- Friday is traditionally dedicated to Treat “Uncle” and the traditional “Challa” of the mining places is made in the Mines of San Jose. At night traditional evening throughout the carnival route until dawn with the participation of folk groups in different parts.
- The evening will be held Serenade to the Virgin of the Tunnel in the Main Square February 10 with performances by folk groups, bands and ensembles.
Pilgrimage to the Shrine of the Tunnel – fastuosa traditional parade (Central Oruro Carnival Day)
- Date: Saturday, February 14, 2015 (according Role)
- Location: Potosi Esq aroma Hrs .: 6:30 a.m..
- Home Entry Hrs.: 7:00 a.m.
- The Carnival of Oruro is famous worldwide and was declared a Masterpiece of Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity by the Majestic UNESCO Folk entry with the great participation of 48 Folk Ensembles wearing the most colorful costumes in a display of culture, heritage and tradition through the most incredible choreography and music.
Carnival Sunday – Check Corso Oruro Carnival 2015
- Date: Sunday, February 15, 2015
- Location: Potosi corner aroma Hrs .: 6:30 a.m.
- The traditional Carnival Sunday morning takes place in the vicinity of the Shrine of the Tunnel, with participation of Oruro carnival bands.
Diablo Day and Moreno
- Date: Monday, February 16, 2015
- Dancers farewell to the Virgin of the Tunnel
- Location: Shrine of the Tunnel
- This day Masses are held themselves that are offered by different folk groups also in various locations in the city of Oruro can be observed choreographic demonstrations offered by different groups of dancers; then out social receptions will take, at its centers.
- Farewell Oruro Carnival 2015 – Tale of the most representative of the Oruro Carnival dances.