City of Arequipa
Arequipa, The White City, spreads at the foot of the majestic Volcano Misti, sheltering an impressive architectural wealth. Its historical center has an urban configuration in the Vice-regal and Republican styles, and its beautiful squares, streets, parks, mansions, temples and monuments are well preserved, since most of its constructions are built with sillar (White volcanic stone).
Finally, Arequipa was declared as Humanity's Cultural Patrimony, by the UNESCO, in 2000.
It is located 18 km. north of the city of Arequipa. It covers a surface of 200 km², with a height of 5,823 m.a.s.l. and is active. It is the icon of the Region of Arequipa, for its beauty which gives a special look to the city, the Chili Valley and Arequipenian countryside. It is a place of great tourist attraction and for practices of adventure tourism.
Convent of Santa Catalina
The Convent of Santa Catalina is part of Arequipa´s religious history. Built in the 16th century, it was closed to the public during more than 400 years. It is a small city, with a layout in the Spanish style, old little streets and secret passages. For centuries, it was inhabited by nuns who were secluded from the outside world.
It is one of Peru's most beautiful squares, in the Colonial style, on which stand out the archways and buildings that surround it, such as the Cathedral and City Hall. It maintains the original architectural harmony of its buildings, in relation with the square, as well as that of its monuments and adjacent streets.
In the center of the square, there is an ornamental bronze fountain, composed of three dishes and crowned by a personage called Tuturutú who, says the story, was the person in charge of informing the population regarding any important event.
Cathedral of Arequipa
It is one of Arequipa´s most emblematic places. It was built in 1621, affected by the 1668 earthquake, partially destroyed in 1844, by a huge fire, and one of its towers fell during the 2001 earthquake. After its reconstruction, it is presently in good condition. On its façade, two towers stand out and inside, it shelters an interesting cultural, religious and artistic patrimony.
The Company's Church
It was built in 1650 and is located nearby the Main Square (Plaza de Armas). Its carved façade and sculpted wooden pulpit are true artistic jewels, as well as the Sistine Chapel, altars and oil canvases of the great Bernardo Bitti and Diego de la Puente, along with beautiful paintings of the famous Cusquenian School of Art.
The imposing cloister that surrounds it is an architectural work which presents a set of arches, with half-breed relief in sillar volcanic stone, along with cut and finely carved columns.
Andean Sanctuaries´ Museum
In this museum, there is one of the region's greatest attractions: The Mummy Juanita or Lady of Ampato who was discovered in 1995, in Arequipa's snow-capped volcanoes´ area, and who might have been given as an offering by the Incas, to the Apus (Tutelary divinities of the mountains), around 1466. It was one of the last important discoveries made on the snow-capped Mount Ampato, situated in the District of Cabanaconde, Province of Caylloma, in the Department of Arequipa.
Yanahuara's Vantage Point
It is an enchanting place; a picturesque square, with its church cut in sillar stone, surrounded by trees and buildings with archways, of Colonial style, which allows an impressive view over the city and its volcanoes. It is Arequipa´s tourist district, for its countryside, hotels, restaurants and tourist picanterías, where Arequipa´s typical dishes can be enjoyed.
Sachaca's Vantage Point
It is a district characterized by its narrow streets and typical picanterías (Popular restaurants), with their Arequipenian food. Its imposing vantage point stands out, offering a spectacular view over the whole city of Arequipa, its countryside and volcanoes.
The Founder's Mansion
In the District of Socabaya, in the Arequipenian countryside, there is the mansion of Don García Manuel de Carvajal, founder of the Colonial city of Arequipa (Foundation in 1540). The Colonial style countryside residence is one of the most beautiful and best preserved in the region.
This famous mill built in stone, works with hydraulic power and is located 10 km. from the city. It dates from 1622 and is still functioning, to the visitors´ admiration.
It is located in the Province of Chivay, 165 kilometers away and about a 4 hour trip from the city of Arequipa. The canyon is more than 100 km. long and its deepest spot is at a depth of 3,400 meters. It is accessible by means of a compacted (Not asphalted) dirt road, that goes by beautiful places and picturesque Andean villages; mainly Collaguas of Tiahuanaco origin (Pre-Hispanic culture from the high plateaus) and Cabanas, of Quechua roots, such as Coporaque, Lari, Cabanaconde, Yanque, Achoma, Maca Pinchoyo, Chumpa, Antahuillque, Madrigal, etc. At present, its benched terraces of Incan origin are being worked on by the area's farmers.
From Choquetico's Vantage Point, one can appreciate the canyon and a set of pre-Incan tombs, halfway up a huge vertical rocky wall. What these ancient men did is admirable and mysterious, as their deep religiousness to honor their dead, is, by all means, worthy of respect.
One of the most privileged places to observe the great canyon, is the Cruz del Condor (Condor's Cross) Vantage Point which is the tourists´ favorite spot, because, from there, one can see the huge condors flying out of the precipices´ abrupt walls, to lose themselves in the depths of the canyon. However, one can observe the bottom of the canyon, with a better perspective, from Tapay's Vantage Point.
Canyon of Cotahuasi
The Cotahuasi Canyon is located in the Province of La Unión which is probably the most distant from the city of Arequipa, as there are 379 kilometers covered in 9 hours, by van or 12 hours by bus. It is the world's deepest canyon (3,585 meters), and it has been declared as Landscape Reserve and National Tourist Reserve.
Near that valley, are located the snow-capped Coropuna (6,425 m.a.s.l.) and Solimana (6,117 m.a.s.l.) mountains. Likewise, it is the natural habitat of the Condor, vicuñas, tarucas, etc., and its geography propitiates a diversity of adventure sports, such as hikes, rafting, gliding, rock escalade, mountain biking, horseback riding and rappel. The closest village is Cotahuasi.
From the natural Vantage Point of Allhuay (3,950 m.a.s.l.), one enjoys a panoramic view of the Cotahuasi Canyon and Valley. Crossing a hanging bridge, one gets to the Cataracts of Sipia which are a 150 meter drop, forming an eternal rainbow which makes the place even more beautiful. The journey takes us through spectacular places, pre-Incan and Incan archaeological complexes, picturesque villages, in the canyon's depth, and pre-Hispanic benched terraces in current use.
Glyphs of Toro Muerto (Dead Bull)
Toro Muerto is a set of designs appearing on nearly 6,000 volcanic rocks, and carved by the ancient Waris, between 900 and 1200 a.D. The rock carvings represent mammals, birds, fish, reptiles, anthropomorphic beings, plants and geometrical figures, on a surface of about 5 km. in length and 250 meters wide. It might very well be the world's largest stone carved art deposit, and it has been catalogued as Humanity's Patrimony.
Querullpa (Dinosaures´ Tracks)
These tracks are situated in the locality of Querullpa. There are about 68 tracks which measure between 50 and 90 cm. in length, by 10 cm. in depth, and these are about 180 million years old, which would correspond to the tracks of a biped dinosaur of the teropod family, which would have lived in the valley, in the Jurassic period. Furthermore, paleolithic pieces, as well as marine and plant fossils were found in the place.
More About Arequipa:
Terms and Conditions
TRAVEL WARRANTY IN PERU - RESERVATION AND OPERATION REGULATIONS:
In order to improve the organization of our tourist trips and guarantee our service efficiency to intermediaries and customers, INVERSA E.I.R.L., as IN PERU TRAVEL's operator brings its reservation and operation policies, to public attention. Travel warranty in Peru.
Travel warranty in Peru - Programs and Prices
- All our prices are in American Dollars and include all taxes, for non-residents in Peru (Foreign visitors)
- Prices for groups of over 15 participants, are subject to discounts
- Consult our reservation agent at the E-mail: email@example.com Travel warranty in Peru
- All airplane, train and bus services are subject to changes and availability. Therefore, the reservation date must be confirmed in due time.
Travel warranty in Peru - Reservations and Deposits
- The system only processes reservations received, at least 2 days before the tourist services´ starting date
- In order to confirm your reservation, we must have received your pre-payment of services or guarantee deposit of US $ 100.00 American Dollars
- All payments and deposits can be made through our online system, by accessing our Website: www.inperutravel.com.
Travel warranty in Peru - Tourist Packages / Tour Reservations
- All services included in confirmed tourist packages, are guaranteed, within the established conditions
- Your reservation confirmation must be sent by E-mail, with each tourist package reservation code
- The packages´ total payment must be made 60 days before the travel program's starting date. Travel warranty in Peru.
Travel warranty in Peru - Cancellations
- There will not be any refund for portions of the program which will not be completed, due to the visitor's decision, once the program has started
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, 60 days before service date, will suffer a penalty of USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses. Travel warranty in Peru.
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, between 59 and 30 days before service date, will suffer a penalty of 50% of the package's value, plus USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, between 29 and 16 days before service date, will suffer a penalty of 75% of the package's value, plus USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, 15 or less days before service date, are NOT REFUNDABLE.
Travel warranty in Peru - Hotel Reservations (Not included in our tourist packages)
- All confirmed hotel accommodation services are guaranteed. Travel warranty in Peru.
- The reservation confirmation must be sent by E-mail, with the hotel's reservation code
- Breakfast and transfer from the airport, are included, only if specified and made public by the hotel. If not, the price only includes accommodation.
- Visitors only have to show their passports and hotel reservation voucher, to take the room.
Travel warranty in Peru - Sanctions
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, made more than 16 days before their arrival, will have to be subject to a penalty of USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, within 15 days before their arrival, will have to be subject to a penalty of the value of the first night, plus USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses
- In the case the visitor fails to show up at the hotel, on the reserved date, and has not communicated any cancellation, they will be charged as no show, for all other reserved nights.
Travel warranty in Peru - LIABILITIES AND OBLIGATIONS
- IN PERU TRAVEL is responsible for delivering all services contracted by the customer, according to what has been established in the package's contents. Travel warranty in Peru.
- In cases of strikes, political manifestations, natural disasters, adverse weather conditions or any other cases of Act of God which might affect the tourist program's normal progression, IN PERU TRAVEL, will not be held responsible for unfulfilled services. Therefore, there is no compensation to third parties, whatsoever
- If, for any reason, the transportation means chosen by visitors (Plane, bus, train, etc.) should fail to arrive on the scheduled date and time to start the tour, IN PERU TRAVEL is free of all liability
- The operator will only assume service on the remaining portion of the program, after the visitors´ arrival, and consequently, the lost part of the program, will neither be reprogrammed, nor refunded
- IN PERU TRAVEL reserves the right to modify any package's program, when circumstances require it to offer safety and better service to visitors
- IN PERU TRAVEL will issue all tickets and vouchers, for all services, at the program's starting place or can send these coupons to the address indicated by the customer.