The Huascarán National Park.
The snow-capped Mount Huascarán is considered as Peru´s highest mountain. It is situated 22 kilometers from Huaraz and reaches the altitude of 6,768 meters above sea level (m.a.s.l.). This national park, declared as Humanity´s Natural Patrimony, by the UNESCO, in 1985, covers an area of 340,000 hectares and is characterized by its famous lagoons with their intense colors, called Parón, Llanganuco, Llaca, Queroqocha and others still, in the ecosystems of which there is an important flora and fauna, the whole forming landscapes of great beauty.
It possesses Peru´s highest snow-covered mountains, such as the Huascarán (6,768 m.a.s.l.). The Huascarán´s Northern summit was crowned for the first time, in 1932, by an Austrian and German expedition (Kinzl, Bernard, Borchers, Hein, Hoerlin and Schnaider), and its Southern summit, the highest, was crowned on August 4, 1953, by the brothers Apolonio, Pedro and Guido Yanac, as well as by Fortunato and Felipe Mautino and Macario Ángeles, of the White Cordillera Andinist Club.In 1970, huge blocks of ice came loose from the Huascarán´s slopes, causing the complete destruction of whole villages, in the Callejón de Huaylas, as in the tragedies of Yungay and Ranrahirca. The White Cordillera
It has a length of 180 kilometers, between Conococha Lagoon (To the South) and the Huallanca area (To the North). Its glacier area is of 720 km², with 27 snow-capped mountains that rise over 6,000 meters in altitude, such as the Huascarán (6,768 meters) and almost one hundred that rise above 5,000 meters, like the Pyramid of the Alpamayo (5,947 meters), the world´s most beautiful snow-covered mountain, followed by the K2, in the Himalayas and Fitz Roy, in Argentina, according to the Scenic Beauty World Contest, organized in Munich, in 1996.
Apart from the Huascarán, there are other very high and beautiful snow-capped mountains, such as: Huandoy Centro (6,395 m.), Chopilcalqui (6,354 m.), Siulá Grande (6,344 m.), Santa Cruz (6,259 m.), Sarapo (6,127 m.), Hualcán (6,122 m.), Chacraraju (6,112 m.), Jirishanca (6,094 m.), Pucahirca (6,046 m.), Alpamayo (5,957 m.) and Pastoruri (5,240 m.). Likewise, there are 600 beautiful lagoons originated by glaciers, like those of Llanganuco (At the foot of the Huascarán), Parón, Churup and Jatuncocha.
The Black Cordillera.
The Black Cordillera is a rocky mountain range, situated west of the White Cordillera, and between both of them, runs the Callejón de Huaylas (Corridor of Huaylas), geologically formed by volcanic rocks and slopes for agricultural use. Its main altitudes are: Rocarre (5,187 m.), Coñocranra (5,181 m.), Cancahua (5,102 m.), Rumicruz (5,020 m.), Cerro Rico (5,014 m.) and Huancapeti (4,968 m.). In contrast with the White Cordillera, summits lower than 5,000 m. in altitude, lack glaciers.
The place called Cueva del Guitarrero (Guitar Player´s Cave) is located in the Black Cordillera, where North American anthropologist Thomas Lynch discovered, in 1969, very ancient cultural remains, dating between 10950 and 10230 b.C. (Sample GX 1859), for which that place is considered as one of the great testimonies of the origin of agriculture in America. Likewise, this mountain range shelters great mineral resources, such as gold, which are presently being exploited.
The Huayhuash Mountain Range.
This mountain range situated south of the White Cordillera, has an extension of 30 kilometers in length, and possesses very beautiful snow-capped mountains, like Mounts Yerupajá, Jirishanca, Siulá, Carnicero and Trapecio. That cordillera has Himalayan features and six peaks that rise above 6,000 meters, in addition of dozens of lakes, such as Carhuacocha, Jahuacocha and Mitucocha. Its main access is by the city of Chiquián, located 2 hours from the city of Huaraz. It is an ideal area to do adventure tourism, and mainly hikes and andinism.
El Cañón del Pato The Duck´s Canyon.
It has been formed by erosion generated by the Santa River´s tumultuous waters. Its walls rise above 2,000 meters in altitude and are almost 1,000 meters deep, It is an impressive geographical accident, in which the Black Cordillera´s granit walls are separated by less than 5 meters. That geographical conformation has allowed great engineering works, like the Cañon del Pato´s Hydroelectric Plant; one of the country´s most important electrical power generating sources. The Cañon del Pato (Duck´s Canyon) delimits the Callejón de Huaylas, to the North. From there, the Santa River takes a North-east South-west course, all the way to its mouth and into the Pacific Ocean.
The Parón Lagoon.
Parón´s Lagoon is the most important soft water deposit in the Callejón de Huaylas. It is located 100 km. North of Huaraz and 32 km. from Caraz, at an altitude of 4,185 m.a.s.l., with a maximum depth 76 meters and water volume of 55 million cubic meters. It is the White Cordillera´s largest water resource reserve, and from it, one can contemplate the snow-capped mounts Garcilaso´s Pyramid, North Huandoy, Pisco, Chacraraju and Paria.
The Duke Energy Egenor company had a concession over this lagoon, since 1994, and assumed its ownership, activating a dangerous water usage mechanism, exclusively oriented to increasing the profitability of the Cañón del Pato´s Hydroelectric Power Generation Plant, which notably affected the basin´s water flow, as well as agricultural activities.
Today, Parón returned to an autonomous administration, integrated by the National Water Authority, Huaylas´ Provincial Municipality and Ancash´s Regional Government. Therefore, Parón, with its recent Peruvian conquest, has become the symbol of struggle for the conservation of glacier masses and water resources directed towards lagoons, in the White Cordillera.
The Llanganuco Lagoon.
82 km. North of Huaraz, and 28 km. from Yungay, lies Llanganuco´s Lagoon (3,860 m.a.s.l.), composed of two lagoons: Chinancocha (Female lagoon) and Orcococha (Male lagoon). It is characterized by its waters´ turquoise green coloration and for the queuña forests that surround their shores. It also presents a beautiful landscape, from which one can observe the snow-covered Chopicalqui, Huascarán, Huandoy, Pisco, Chacraraju and Yanapaccha mountains.
The Llaca Lagoon.
It is located 27 km. from Huaraz. On the way, one can appreciate the Archaeological Complex of Wilcahuaín which belonged to the Huari culture. From the lagoon, there is an impressive view of the Occhapalca and Ranrapalca snow-capped mountains.
The Querococha Lagoon.
It is located at 3,840 m.a.s.l., and 57 km. South-east of Huaraz, on the road that leads to Chavín. It offers trout fishing activities, at certain times of the year, and in addition, it gives an excellent panoramic view of the Pukaraju and Yanamarey snow-covered mountains.
The Pachacoto-Carpa Lagoon.
It is located 57 km. South of Huaraz, at the deviation towards the Pachacoto-Carpa Gorge. In that place, are coexisting the rolls of the famous Phuya de Raymondi, Pumapampa´s gaseous water springs, Pumashimi´s water eye or spring, ancient paintings on rocks and an excellent view of the Muroraju, Huarapasca and Tuco snow-covered mountains. Only 3.5 km. from the road deviation, stands the snow-capped Mount Pastoruri, propitious for skiing and easy climbing andinism.
The Archaeological Complex of Chavín de Huantar.
Chavín de Huantar is located 109 kilometers from Huaraz, in the Province of Huari, in the White Cordillera´s foothills, at 3,180 m.a.s.l. Its antiquity dates back from 1500 to 500 b.C. and it was declared Humanity´s Cultural Patrimony by the UNESCO, in 1985.
The archaeological complex is composed of different buildings, pyramids, squares, doorways and stairways. The pyramidal constructions hide a network of inner passages and chambers which, in some cases, seem to be superposed. The material used for their construction, is stone which was also used to sculpt portraits of mythical figures, in high and bas relief, coated walls and sculpted stones (Nailed heads).
The Chavín Maze is a sculpted monolithic stone, with mythical figures, called Lanzón, of about 5 meters high. Another representative carved work, is the Doorway (The Castle), with its symbolism represented by dark colors (Outer world) and light ones (Inner world), and facing it, there is the Rectangular Square which was used for religious celebrations and the Circular Square or Old Temple which had carved mythical beings around its perimeter.
Monterrey´s Thermal Baths.
They are located 9 km. from Huaraz, in a place famous for its landscapes and thermo-medicinal waters, ideal for the treatment of rheumatisms.
The Thermal Baths of Chancos.
They are located 28 kilometers from Huaraz, near the locality of Marcará. These are baths and springs with transparent waters known for their medicinal properties.
It is located 106 kilometers from Huaraz, at an altitude of 5,240 m.a.s.l. That mountain is part of the mountain climbing circuits of Huaraz. It is ideal for nieve de embarque, skiing and sportive escalade. All along that area, one can observe the most spectacular snow-capped mountains, among which, the Huascarán (6,768 m.a.s.l.), Peru´s highest peak. In addition of its thermal springs and spectacular lagoons, like that of Llanganuco, the area is ideal to practice adventure sports, such as rafting, andinism, mountain biking or hiking.
More about Ancash:
Terms and Conditions
TRAVEL WARRANTY IN PERU - RESERVATION AND OPERATION REGULATIONS:
In order to improve the organization of our tourist trips and guarantee our service efficiency to intermediaries and customers, INVERSA E.I.R.L., as IN PERU TRAVEL's operator brings its reservation and operation policies, to public attention. Travel warranty in Peru.
Travel warranty in Peru - Programs and Prices
- All our prices are in American Dollars and include all taxes, for non-residents in Peru (Foreign visitors)
- Prices for groups of over 15 participants, are subject to discounts
- Consult our reservation agent at the E-mail: email@example.com Travel warranty in Peru
- All airplane, train and bus services are subject to changes and availability. Therefore, the reservation date must be confirmed in due time.
Travel warranty in Peru - Reservations and Deposits
- The system only processes reservations received, at least 2 days before the tourist services´ starting date
- In order to confirm your reservation, we must have received your pre-payment of services or guarantee deposit of US $ 100.00 American Dollars
- All payments and deposits can be made through our online system, by accessing our Website: www.inperutravel.com.
Travel warranty in Peru - Tourist Packages / Tour Reservations
- All services included in confirmed tourist packages, are guaranteed, within the established conditions
- Your reservation confirmation must be sent by E-mail, with each tourist package reservation code
- The packages´ total payment must be made 60 days before the travel program's starting date. Travel warranty in Peru.
Travel warranty in Peru - Cancellations
- There will not be any refund for portions of the program which will not be completed, due to the visitor's decision, once the program has started
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, 60 days before service date, will suffer a penalty of USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses. Travel warranty in Peru.
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, between 59 and 30 days before service date, will suffer a penalty of 50% of the package's value, plus USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, between 29 and 16 days before service date, will suffer a penalty of 75% of the package's value, plus USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, 15 or less days before service date, are NOT REFUNDABLE.
Travel warranty in Peru - Hotel Reservations (Not included in our tourist packages)
- All confirmed hotel accommodation services are guaranteed. Travel warranty in Peru.
- The reservation confirmation must be sent by E-mail, with the hotel's reservation code
- Breakfast and transfer from the airport, are included, only if specified and made public by the hotel. If not, the price only includes accommodation.
- Visitors only have to show their passports and hotel reservation voucher, to take the room.
Travel warranty in Peru - Sanctions
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, made more than 16 days before their arrival, will have to be subject to a penalty of USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses
- Cancellations on the visitor's part, within 15 days before their arrival, will have to be subject to a penalty of the value of the first night, plus USD 25.00 American Dollars, for administrative expenses
- In the case the visitor fails to show up at the hotel, on the reserved date, and has not communicated any cancellation, they will be charged as no show, for all other reserved nights.
Travel warranty in Peru - LIABILITIES AND OBLIGATIONS
- IN PERU TRAVEL is responsible for delivering all services contracted by the customer, according to what has been established in the package's contents. Travel warranty in Peru.
- In cases of strikes, political manifestations, natural disasters, adverse weather conditions or any other cases of Act of God which might affect the tourist program's normal progression, IN PERU TRAVEL, will not be held responsible for unfulfilled services. Therefore, there is no compensation to third parties, whatsoever
- If, for any reason, the transportation means chosen by visitors (Plane, bus, train, etc.) should fail to arrive on the scheduled date and time to start the tour, IN PERU TRAVEL is free of all liability
- The operator will only assume service on the remaining portion of the program, after the visitors´ arrival, and consequently, the lost part of the program, will neither be reprogrammed, nor refunded
- IN PERU TRAVEL reserves the right to modify any package's program, when circumstances require it to offer safety and better service to visitors
- IN PERU TRAVEL will issue all tickets and vouchers, for all services, at the program's starting place or can send these coupons to the address indicated by the customer.